CalArts Music School students are invited to submit proposals for sound-related installations to be programmed in the WaveCave gallery during the Spring 2018 semester. The WaveCave will be available for week-long shows, Mondays through Sundays throughout most of the Spring 2018 semester.
Proposals are due by December 4th, 2017 at 5pm
Selection Notifications will be sent by December 18th, 2017
Commitment to assigned gallery dates is due by January 2nd, 2018
Proposals will be reviewed by a committee consisting of CalArts Music School alumni and faculty and will be evaluated based on the following criteria:
- Clarity of the proposal
- Interesting usage of sound within the gallery space
- Experimentation in process or approach; or challenge to formal conventions
- Feasibility of the proposal
Create and upload a PDF with the following information:
- Synopsis of the Piece (50 to 100 words) – What exactly will we see and hear as we enter the gallery and explore the work
- Detailed Description of the Piece (500 words or less) – Tell us more about your approach both aesthetically and technically
- A diagram of the physical layout of the piece in the gallery
- A system diagram of any electronics
- Pertinent links to your current / previous work that may help us understand the work you are proposing
- Bio (200 words or less)
The Fine Print
The artist will be responsible for any and all set-up, tear-down, posters, or any opening or reception held during the presentation week.
The artist will provide text/audio/video/photo content (whatever is appropriate for the piece) for wall signage, publicity, and the WaveCave blog, two weeks before the date of the show.
The artist will be responsible for filling out event and reception paperwork and if indicated, getting safety clearance from the institute safety coordinator.
Only if you have pressing questions or concerns about your proposal please contact Clay Chaplin or Sara Roberts via email.
We will only review proposals that use the following form and specifically follow the proposal criteria listed above. Please do not upload other grant proposals – IE – Interdisciplinary grant proposals.