CalArts Music School students are invited to submit proposals for sound-related installations to be programmed in the WaveCave gallery during the Fall 2023 semester. The WaveCave will be available for week-long shows, Sundays through Saturdays throughout most of the Fall 2023 semester.
Proposals are due by Monday, May 1, 2023 at 5pm
Selection Notifications will be sent by Friday, May 12, 2023
Commitment to assigned gallery dates is due by Friday, May 26, 2023
The WaveCave Info Packet
Download and read the attached PDF! It has everything you need to know about the WaveCave plus examples of previously successful proposals!
Proposals will be reviewed by a committee consisting of CalArts Music School faculty and will be evaluated based on the following criteria:
- Clarity of the proposal
- Interesting usage of sound within the gallery space
- Experimentation in process or approach; or challenge to formal conventions
- Feasibility of the proposal
The WaveCave is for sound art installations and is not a performance venue. Proposals consisting primarily of pre-recorded songs or videos on loop and or works geared only towards a Thursday Night gallery performance will probably not be programmed.
Create and upload a PDF with the following information:
- Synopsis of the Piece (50 to 100 words) - What exactly will we see and hear as we enter the gallery and explore the work
- Detailed Description of the Piece (500 words or less) - Tell us more about your approach both aesthetically and technically
- A diagram of the physical layout of the piece in the gallery
- A system diagram of any electronics
- Pertinent links to your current / previous work that may help us understand the work you are proposing
- Bio (200 words or less)
We will only review proposals that use the following form and specifically follow the proposal criteria listed above. Please do not upload other grant proposals - IE - Interdisciplinary grant proposals.